Rideshare Uber, Lyft Accident Lawyer
What do you need to know?
Even though rideshare companies carry a $1million dollar policy, they will fight any claim against it. You may also need to file a claim against the driver’s personal insurance company. That’s why you need to have a very experienced rideshare accident lawyer helping you through this time.
If you were hit by a rideshare car who is on the clock, things get more complicated. Make sure you know the exact time of the accident. Sometimes the company will deny claims for many reasons. Sorting out which insurance company is responsible for damages and injuries is tangled, and complicated.
What is a rideshare?
Rideshare, services like Uber, Lyft or taxis, all typically carry million dollar insurance liability policies. If you or your loved ones suffered injuries while using one of these services, that is money you could have a right to claim.
Typically, using a ride share service should be safe as drivers undergo background and driving record checks. But sometimes, these safeguards aren’t enough. Even professional drivers can make a mistake.
Our experienced attorneys will immediately begin investigating the details of your rideshare accident. We work hard for you, and we also understand how difficult this time of your life can be.
Insurance coverage for rideshare drivers in Florida
All rideshare drivers are required to have personal auto insurance. This insurance coverage must meet the requirements for the state of Florida. Some Uber drivers also cover commercial auto insurance as a source of additional protection.
The insurance coverage provided by Lyft and Uber for drivers will take care of some types of liability, including uninsured motorist coverage, comprehensive coverage, personal injury protection, and collision coverage. Drivers can receive this coverage if they are picking up, transporting, or searching for passengers. It also extends to any passengers in the vehicle operated by a Lyft or Uber driver. The coverage may also extend to the passengers in other vehicles when an Uber or Lyft driver is at fault for an accident.
The following coverage is provided by insurance from both Lyft and Uber:
- When the driver logs into the app but isn’t picking up or transporting, Lyft and Uber provide $50K per person and $100K per accident for bodily injuries, and $25K in property damage for each accident.
- Drivers who are on the way to pick up or actively transporting a passenger have $1 million in third-party liability coverage and $1 million in underinsured and uninsured coverage, as well as comprehensive and collision coverage for the driver’s vehicle if their personal insurance policy includes collision coverage.
If you are a Lyft or Uber driver and are not logged into the app when the accident occurs, then your personal insurance policy will cover injuries and damages.
What should you do as a rideshare victim?
Once the police arrive, they will have questions about your hit and run. Be honest. It is okay to say you don’t know something! It is much better to go back and give more information later than to give incorrect information to start with.
Start a notebook. Write down dates, events, and anything that happens to you. You will thank yourself later!
Contact us as soon as you can. Our talented team of attorneys will want to start working on your case immediately. If your insurance company calls you, please do not give them a statement until you have spoken to our team. We are here to help YOU!
Liability in rideshare accidents
As an accident victim in a rideshare accident, you may be entitled to receive compensation from your driver. This is dependent on the circumstances of the accident. In some cases, compensation may also be given by the rideshare company.
Proving your case
You might worry about how you will prove a rideshare accident to your insurance company. In cases like this, you should contact an experienced rideshare accident lawyer like at Pardy and Rodriguez. We have multiple offices across the state and will work with you and your schedule. We understand that you’re worried about your future and we will do everything we can to get you back on track.
What type of compensation can you receive after a rideshare accident?
Being involved in a rideshare accident can be stressful. Regardless of whether you are the passenger in the rideshare vehicle or in the other vehicle the rideshare driver impacted, you are entitled to some types of compensation. The most common types include:
- Pain and suffering: Mental and physical anguish resulting from your accident, along with the loss of quality of life, may provide some compensation.
- Lost wages: Any income you lost because of your injuries and the difference in your income if your injuries keep you from earning the amount of income you did before the accident occurred.
- Medical expenses: Prescription medications, doctor’s visits, hospital stays, occupational or physical therapy, durable medical equipment, and more are all covered after a rideshare accident.
- Loss of companionship and consortium: You may receive compensation if your family or spouse loses companionship or if you can no longer function as you did before the accident.
Uber alone has made over 4 billion trips worldwide, and researchers believe the company has lowered drunk driving rates all over the globe.
Dealing with rideshare accidents and recovering compensation
If you are involved in an accident while in a rideshare vehicle, you may be entitled to compensation. Working with an attorney will help you know for sure if this compensation is available or owed. For additional information about rideshare accidents and your rights, contact The Law Offices of Pardy & Rodriguez, P.A. by calling 888-522-0222.