Wet Floors and Missing Signs: Determining Liability in Slip and Fall Claims
It’s hard to believe that all it takes is a little bit of water on the floor to cause a serious slip and fall, but that is exactly true. Unless you’re aware of the wet surface, you can easily find yourself losing your footing and taking a nasty fall. So, what happens if this accident occurs in a public place or a business thanks to the fact that there was no sign to alert you of the wet floor? Suddenly, you may be dealing with a slip and fall claim and trying to determine liability.
Here are some useful tips and information you can use to help you better navigate the situation.
What Are the Most Common Injuries Sustained?
Why are slip and fall accidents so dangerous? Well, they can cause several injuries that take a while to recover from. The most common injuries in a slip and fall accident can include:
- Bone fracture
- Back injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Head injury
- Brain injury
- Severe lacerations and cuts
- Neck injury
- Chronic pain
- Facial injury
How to Determine Liability
Determining liability may seem straightforward but that’s not always the case. The negligent party will do everything they can to get out of being found at fault, so it’s up to you to prove your claim. Some of the things that can help include:
- A medical report detailing your injuries and the causes
- Pictures of the accident scene – showing there was no sign present
- Pictures of the wet surface
- Filing an incident report with the business
- Getting the names of witnesses
- Video surveillance footage
It Is About the Duty of Care
It comes down to duty of care. The occupier or the property owner is responsible for duty of care, meaning they must ensure the property is safe. A missing sign that alerts people of a wet floor certainly isn’t fulfilling the duty of care.
We Can Help You Get Compensation
Because a missing sign at a public place or business can be determined as negligent, you may be eligible for compensation. Compensation is meant to cover your medical bills now and in the future (concerning your slip and fall), any loss of wages, and pain and suffering.
The best plan of action is to contact one of our personal injury lawyers at Pardy & Rodriguez so we can fight for you. We understand what it takes to prove liability and how to calculate fair compensation in a slip and fall claim. Let us take care of the details so you can focus on recovery.
You can visit us in person at one of our following office locations:
- Orlando – 315 Park Lake Cir., Orlando, FL 32803
- Tampa – 11700 N. 58th St., Ste. A, Temple Terrace, FL 33617
- Kissimmee – 1052 E. Osceola Parkway, Kissimmee, FL 34744
- Poinciana – 4663 Old Pleasant Hill Road, Poinciana, FL 34759
- Davenport – 40230 US Highway 27, Suite 140, Davenport, FL 33837
- Bradenton – 409 6th Avenue East, Bradenton, FL 34208
If you’d rather, you can call now for a free consultation at (888) 522-0222.